The Office of the Equal Opportunity Commissioner is an independent statutory body who supports the Equal Opportunity Commissioner.
We are responsible for:
- promoting equality of opportunity between citizens of South Australia.
- preventing certain kinds of discrimination based on sex, race, disability, age or various other grounds.
- facilitating the participation of citizens in the economic and social life of the community.
Our legislative responsibilities
Under the Equal Opportunity Act 1984 we can:
- help people resolve discrimination, sexual harassment or victimisation complaints
- educate and inform the community of their rights and responsibilities under equal opportunity laws
- undertake independent reviews of workplace culture in South Australian organisations and businesses
- consult on culture change projects for South Australian organisations and businesses
- partner with academic institutions to undertake research in equal opportunity and related areas
- advise government on legislative and policy reforms relating to equal opportunity.
Learn more about the history of equal opportunity in South Australia.